Money-Making Opportunities Beyond The Gym| Side Hustles For Personal Trainers
As a personal trainer, you may already have a thriving business at the gym, but there are also many money-making opportunities beyond the traditional gym setting. Side hustles can provide additional income streams, allowing you to showcase your expertise and reach a broader audience.
A fitness instructor can design and deliver fitness programs to help individuals achieve their health and fitness goals. They work closely with clients to assess their fitness levels, set realistic goals, and create personalized exercise and nutrition plans.
They also guide and support their clients throughout their fitness journey, monitoring progress and adjusting their plans as necessary. They may work in various settings, including gyms, fitness studios, and private homes, and often hold fitness, health, and nutrition certifications.
In this article, we’ll explore eleven side hustles a personal trainer can pursue, get paid, supplement their income and diversify their business.
11 Side Hustles For Personal Trainers
How To Build A $10,000/month Fitness & Coaching Business In 2023 | EASY METHOD
As a personal trainer, you have a unique skill set that can be applied to various side hustles. Whether you’re looking to diversify your income or expand your client base, many opportunities are available. These ideas will help you earn extra money, showcase your expertise, and build your reputation in the fitness industry.
1. Share Your Weight Loss Or Muscle-Building Journey On Social Media
Sharing your weight loss or muscle-building journey on social media can be a great way to inspire others, build a following, and potentially earn some extra income. Here’s how to do it:
- Set a goal: Decide on a specific weight loss or muscle-building goal and create a plan to achieve it. This could involve working with a personal trainer, developing a meal plan, and setting up a workout routine.
- Choose your platform: Decide which social media platforms you want to use to document your journey. Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok are popular options for fitness-related content.
- Create content: Share photos, videos, and updates about your progress. Be authentic and share both the highs and the lows of your journey. Use hashtags to make your content discoverable by others interested in fitness and weight loss.
- Engage with your audience: Respond to comments and messages from your followers. Provide tips and encouragement to others who are on their fitness journeys.
- Monetize your content: As your following grows, you may be able to monetize your content through sponsorships, affiliate marketing, or selling your products or services. Make sure to disclose any sponsored content to comply with advertising regulations.
The time taken to document your journey on social media will depend on your specific goals and the pace of your progress. Some people may see significant changes within a few weeks, while others may take several months or more to achieve their desired results.
2. Get Sponsored
As a personal trainer, you may seek additional ways to earn money beyond your regular gym sessions. One potential option is to seek sponsorship from companies or brands in the health and fitness industry. The time taken with this hustle will depend on your experience, expertise, and marketing efforts.
Sponsorship involves a company or brand providing financial support or resources to an individual or organization in exchange for certain benefits. As a personal trainer, you could seek sponsorship from companies that produce workout gear, supplements, or other health and fitness products.
To begin seeking sponsorship, you will first need to identify potential sponsors.
Start by researching companies that align with your values and approach to fitness. Look for companies that produce products or services that interest your clients or social media followers.
Once you have identified potential sponsors, you can contact them with a sponsorship proposal. Your proposal should outline the benefits the company can receive in exchange for sponsorship. For example, you might offer to wear and promote their products during training sessions, share sponsored content on social media, or feature them in your online store.
3. Offer Outdoor Classes
Offering outdoor classes is a great way for personal trainers to expand their services and reach new clients. The timeline for launching outdoor classes will depend on various factors, such as the location, equipment needed, and permits required.
If you’re interested in starting outdoor classes, here are some steps you can take to get started:
- Research outdoor spaces: Look for parks, beaches, or other outdoor areas that are public or available for rent. Consider the size of the space, its amenities, and its accessibility.
- Obtain any necessary permits: Depending on the location and type of outdoor class you plan to offer, you may need to obtain permits from the local government or property owner. Check with the appropriate authorities to ensure you have all the necessary permits and insurance coverage.
- Choose a class format: Determine what outdoor class you want to offer. You could do bodyweight workouts, yoga, cardio, or other fitness classes. Consider what equipment you’ll need and how to transport it to the outdoor location.
- Promote your classes: Once you have a location and class format, promote your classes through social media, email marketing, flyers, or word-of-mouth. Consider offering a discounted rate for the first few classes to encourage people to try it.
- Prepare for class: On the day of the class, arrive early to set up any equipment and ensure that the area is safe and free of hazards. Bring plenty of water and other necessary supplies, such as sunscreen or bug spray.
The time to start offering outdoor classes will depend on several factors, including how long it takes to research and secure a location, obtain any necessary permits, and promote your classes.
Getting everything up and running could take a few weeks or months. However, with some effort and planning, offering outdoor classes can be a great way to expand your business and reach new clients.
4. Do Free Fitness And Weight Management Talks For Your Community
Offering free fitness and weight management talks is an excellent way for personal trainers to build their brand, connect with their local community, and attract new clients. Here’s how you can to get connected:
- Identify your target audience: Determine the demographic you want to reach with your talks. Consider age, gender, fitness level, and weight management goals.
- Choose a topic that aligns with your expertise and interests your target audience. Some examples might include healthy eating, workout routines, or stress management techniques.
- Find a venue: Find a venue in your local community to accommodate your talk. This could be a library, community center, or local gym.
- Promote your talk: Once you have a venue and topic, promote your talk through social media, flyers, local newspapers, and word-of-mouth. Consider partnering with other local businesses or organizations to help spread the word.
- Prepare your presentation: Develop a well-organized and engaging presentation with informative visuals, interactive activities, and useful takeaways for your audience.
- Follow up: After the talk, follow up with attendees to answer any additional questions, provide resources, and offer your services as a personal trainer.
The length of time it takes to plan and deliver a free fitness and weight management talk will depend on factors such as the complexity of your presentation and the time it takes to promote the event. Offering community support talks can be a great way to establish yourself as an expert in your community and attract new clients to your training business.
5. Generate Affiliate Income
Generating affiliate income is a great way for personal trainers to earn extra money while providing value to their clients and followers.
- Find relevant affiliate programs: Look for companies and brands in the health and fitness industry that offer affiliate programs. You can search for these programs on affiliate marketing platforms such as ShareASale, Commission Junction, or Clickbank. You can also reach out to companies directly to inquire about affiliate partnerships.
- Choose products or services to promote: Select products or services that align with your values and expertise as a personal trainer. You should also choose products you have used and believe in, as this will make it easier for you to promote them to your clients and followers.
- Promote the products: Once you have chosen the products or services you want to promote, you can promote them to your clients and followers through your website, social media, email newsletters, or blog posts. Ensure to include your unique affiliate link, which tracks the sales from your referrals.
- Provide value: To be successful with affiliate marketing, it’s important to provide value to your clients and followers by offering informative and useful content that helps them achieve their fitness goals. By doing so, you can build trust and establish yourself as an expert in the industry.
- Monitor and optimize: Monitor your affiliate marketing campaigns regularly to track your progress and identify areas for improvement. Use analytics tools to measure your success and optimize your campaigns to maximize your earnings.
6. Write For Online Magazines Or Websites
Starting to write for online magazines or websites as a personal trainer can be a great way to build your brand and reach a wider audience.
How long it takes to start writing for online publications can vary depending on your experience and target publications.
Researching and identifying publications that fit your niche may take some time, and pitching ideas can be competitive.
However, once you have established relationships with editors and built a portfolio of published work, you may find that opportunities come more easily.
It’s important to be persistent and patient, continue honing your writing skills, and build your expertise in your niche.
The timeline for getting published can vary widely depending on the publication and the specific submission guidelines.
7. Start A Private Label Nutritional Supplements Line
Starting a private-label nutritional supplements line can be a lucrative opportunity for those interested in the health and wellness industry. It can take several months to a year or more to complete.
The first step to starting this business is identifying your niche and target audience. You need to consider what types of nutritional supplements your target audience is interested in, their demographics, and their dietary needs.
Once you have identified your target market, you must research the latest trends and regulations in the supplement industry.
You will also need to find a reliable and reputable manufacturer to produce your supplements.
After that, you need to create your brand identity and design packaging that will appeal to your target audience.
Once a product is ready to sell, you must create an e-commerce website to showcase your products and attract customers.
Social media marketing can also be a great way to promote your supplements and engage with potential customers. With the right strategy and execution, starting a private-label nutritional supplements line can be a profitable business venture.
8. Sell Your Healthy Snacks
Selling healthy snacks can be a great business idea for those interested in the health and wellness industry. Start by identifying the target market and the types of healthy snacks you would like.
This can include options for people with specific dietary needs, such as gluten-free, vegan, or low-carb snacks.
Next, you need to research the latest trends in the healthy snack industry and develop a unique and appealing brand identity.
Once you have your brand and product offerings, you must find a reliable supplier for your ingredients and packaging materials. You can sell healthy snacks through various channels, such as e-commerce websites, farmers’ markets, and health food stores.
Marketing your healthy snacks through social media platforms, such as Instagram, can also effectively reach potential customers.
It can take several months to a year or more to establish a successful healthy snack business, as you will need to build a loyal customer base and establish a strong brand identity.
9. Run Seminars Or Workshops
Running seminars or workshops can be a great way for personal trainers to share their expertise and generate additional income.
These events can be focused on various topics, such as nutrition, strength training, or injury prevention.
To run a successful seminar or workshop, you must start by identifying your target audience and their needs.
Consider what topics would be most relevant and valuable to them. Once you have identified your topic, you must plan your content and create engaging presentation materials.
You may also consider bringing in guest speakers or experts to add credibility and diversity to your event.
Next, you must market your event through social media, email marketing, and other channels to attract attendees.
Finally, you need to ensure that your event runs smoothly and that attendees have a positive experience.
Collecting feedback and testimonials from attendees can help you improve future events and attract more participants. Running seminars or workshops can be a rewarding and profitable way for personal trainers to share their knowledge and connect with their audience.
10. Offer General Fitness And Nutrition Plans
Offering general fitness and nutrition plans can be a great way for personal trainers to generate additional income and help more people achieve their health and wellness goals.
These plans can be offered in various formats, such as one-on-one coaching, group coaching, or online programs. To offer effective fitness and nutrition plans, you need to start by assessing your client’s goals, fitness level, and dietary needs.
From there, you can create personalized plans that include workouts, meal plans, and nutritional guidance. You may also consider offering additional support through regular check-ins, progress tracking, and accountability measures.
When marketing your plans, it’s important to emphasize the benefits that clients can expect to receive, such as improved fitness, better health, and increased energy.
Social media and email marketing can be effective channels for promoting your plans and connecting with potential clients.
Offering general fitness and nutrition plans can be rewarding for personal trainers to expand their business and help more people achieve their health and wellness goals.
11. Start A Fitness Blog
Starting a fitness blog can be relatively straightforward, but building a following and establishing a successful online presence will take time and effort. The first step to starting a fitness blog is to choose a blogging platform and domain name that aligns with your brand and target audience.
Popular blogging platforms include WordPress, Squarespace, and Wix. Once you have your platform and domain set up, you need to create a visually appealing and easy-to-navigate website that showcases your content.
This will include writing and publishing high-quality blog posts, creating eye-catching graphics and images, and optimizing your website for search engine optimization (SEO). To attract readers to your blog, you may want to consider promoting your content through social media, email marketing, and other channels.
It can take several months or even years to build a following and establish a successful fitness blog. It’s important to be consistent in your content creation and to engage with your readers by responding to comments and emails.
By offering valuable content and building a strong online presence, you can establish yourself as a trusted authority in the fitness industry and create a profitable business venture.
How Can Personal Trainers Make Extra Money?
Personal trainers can make extra money in various ways beyond their traditional one-on-one training sessions. One option is offering a group fitness class, in-person or online. This can allow trainers to reach more clients simultaneously and generate additional revenue.
Another option is to offer specialized training programs, such as sports-specific training or pre and postnatal fitness.
These programs can command a higher price point and attract a niche audience. Personal trainers can also consider selling fitness-related products like workout equipment, supplements, or branded apparel.
Additionally, writing fitness-related content for online publications or creating a blog can provide a platform for trainers to share their expertise and potentially earn ad revenue.
Finally, personal trainers can consider offering virtual coaching or consulting services, either as a standalone service or as an add-on to their existing in-person training sessions.
Personal trainers can increase their earnings and build a more sustainable business by exploring these different revenue streams and diversifying their income.
Can Being A Personal Trainer Be A Side Hustle?
Yes, being a personal trainer can be a side hustle. Many personal trainers start their businesses as a side hustle while working another job and then transition to full-time personal training once their business grows.
As a fitness side hustle, personal training can provide additional income and flexibility to pursue other career or personal goals.
Personal trainers can offer training sessions during evenings, weekends, or even online, making it possible to work around other commitments. Additionally, many personal trainers offer group fitness classes or specialized training programs that can generate additional revenue without requiring as much time commitment as one-on-one training sessions.
By treating personal training as a side hustle, individuals can test the waters and determine if it’s a viable career path before making a full-time commitment.
With the growing demand for fitness and wellness services, personal training can be lucrative and rewarding for those passionate about fitness and helping others achieve their goals.
Can You Make $100K A Year As A Personal Trainer?
Yes, a personal trainer can make $100k or more per year. However, it’s important to note that this income level typically requires a combination of factors, such as experience, expertise, and business acumen.
Personal trainers who can build a strong client base, offer specialized services, and market themselves effectively can command higher rates and generate more revenue.
Additionally, personal trainers who offer group fitness classes, sell fitness-related products, or offer virtual coaching services can further diversify their income and increase their earning potential.
However, it’s important to recognize that the path to earning a six-figure income as a personal trainer may take time and effort and require ongoing professional development and marketing efforts to sustain.
Personal trainers who can build a sustainable business model and maintain a high level of service and expertise can achieve significant financial success in the industry.
Personal trainers can earn additional income beyond traditional one-on-one training sessions. Personal trainers can leverage their expertise and knowledge to build a sustainable and profitable business, from group fitness classes to specialized training programs, selling fitness-related products, offering virtual coaching, and writing fitness-related content.
It’s important to recognize that building a successful personal training business takes time, effort, and ongoing professional development.
Still, by exploring different revenue streams and diversifying their income, personal trainers can increase their earning potential and build a rewarding career in the fitness industry.
Ultimately, personal trainers who can balance their passion for fitness with a savvy business sense can achieve significant financial success and positively impact their clients’ lives.
After reading this article I recommend reading: 7 Money Lessons I learned from training rich people.